Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Proof of Escherichia coli presence from Pipe "C"


This is me sampling from Pipe "C"


 No detergent at the time I sampled

Early in my blog I tested 4 of the colonies (blue colonies on Fmc) in biochemical tests which determine what species of coliform you have in the samples. These samples were taken from the creek itself (not Pipe "C"). One of the colonies was definitely E.c. and probably the other 3 had E.c. present but they were contaminated with other coliforms, but the test still shows that these coliforms are from fecal material in the creek, since E.c. was among them, and that species isn't found anywhere else in nature except feces. I had to do the same thing with Pipe "C" effluent, so I passed 1.0ml, and 10ml volumes of my sample, collected on Sunday, April 3, through membrane filters, and placed the filters on Fmc plates, which were incubated at 44.5 C. 10ml gave TNTC, 1ml gave too many also, and the blue dye was broken down, but there were some isolated colonies at the edge of the plate, which I inoculated one of them into Lactose Fermentation (first Tube), Sulfide, Indole, and Motility (second tube), and Citrate (third tube). I had to add Kovacs reagent to the SIM tube. The results below show + lactose, + indole, and negative citrate - showing that the colony was Escherichia coli:

No comments:

Post a Comment